Paris, around 1810
The armchairs from the workshop of François-Honoré-Georges Jacob-Desmalter (1770-1841).
He took over the workshop of his father together with his brother in 1796 and soon became one of the most important and major workshops for exclusive pieces of Empire furniture.
Amongst other, Napoleon’s sister Pauline Bonaparte and the empresses Joséphine de Beauharnais and Marie-Louise of Austria were his clients.
The sitting furniture with the lateral fully plastic sphinxes in the armrests corresponds to the courtly style at the beginning of the 19th century that was inspired by the Ancient World.
Mahogany massive and furnished, fire gilt bronze applications.
Height 96 cm, sitting height 45 cm, width 63 cm, depth 48 cm.