From the workshop of the Spindler brothers (Johann Friedrich, 1726- around 1799 and Heinrich Wilhelm, 1738-1788). The ornamental carpenters fulfilled numerous assignments for high quality furniture and interior design initially in Bayreuth for the New Castle and the hermitage. But as soon as Margravine Wilhelmine died in Bayreuth in 1758, the brothers moved to Potsdam in 1765 upon request of Frederick the Great. The Prussian king build the New Palace after his victory in the Seven Year War and summoned several craftsmen who already worked for his favourite sister to Berlin for the splendid interior construction.
The commode shows numerous characteristics of the “Potsdam type”. It is furnished masterly – partly with the rests of the original colouring – in mahogany wood, royal wood, maple and rose wood with large flowering bouquets in cartridges held by ribbons. The body with three drawers is all-around slightly cambered. The fittings with the rests of its original fire gilding anticipate already the Louis-seize style, while the curved form and the veneer pattern still follow Baroque models.
Height 80 cm, depth 114 cm, depth 68 cm.