The round, star-shaped, and with veined nut wood inlaid plate rests on a socket that is stepped and pulled in on three sides. Puttos painted in black glass painting on maple fillings between rolled leaves show the monogram “EBS” on the three sides of the pylon-shaped shaft.
Johann Georg Hiltl (1771-1845) returned to Munich in 1794, after his education as a carpenter, and opened his famous furniture store in the pranner street 4. It was not a clear breach against the rules of the guild order that he temporarily employed more than 40 workers in his workshop, but it highlights the enormous success of it. Contemporaries describe the merchant and artistic carpenter as one of the “most interesting appearance of Munich”; to the illustrious customers also belonged the Wittelsbacher family. From 1818, Hiltl developed an easier process which enables the transfer of graphics on a wooden surface. The so produced furniture with its sensitive surfaces were though hardly intended for usage but served the taste of extravagant showpieces of Hiltl’s courtly customers.
Height 77 cm, diameter of the plate 117 cm.
Himmelheber: “Biedermeiermöbel”, Munich 1987, page 49.
Himmelheber: “Kunst des Biedermeiers 1815-1835”, Munich 1988, page 69, page 133, 235, no. 167.
Langner et al, “Möbel des Empire, Biedermeier und Spätklassizismus“, Munich 1997, vol. 3, page 73.