Nuremberg, around 1600
Signed “M M” for Michael Mann. The small, brass chest-shaped box on ball feet has its original fire gilding, the broken and engraved corner strips show rests of silvering.
The lid as well as the long and narrow sides are extraordinarily fine engraved with noblemen and noblewomen in round arch areas, the apparent keyhole on the front is typical.
The real keyhole for the original, splendid, trefoil hollow key is to be found on the lid.
The bottom is decorated by a picture area with a jumping dog.
Such artistic miniature chests were demanded objects of the art chamber since the early 17th century.
The boxes of the brothers Michael and Conrad Mann, working as gunsmith and artistic metalworker in Nuremberg, Fürth and Augsburg, are popular until nowadays thanks to their fine engravings on the inside of the lids.
Of Franconian Noble collection.
Height 4,8 cm, width 7,3 cm, height 5 cm.
Berger. “Prunk-Kassetten. Meisterwerke aus der Hans Schell Collection”. Graz 1998, pages 117-138.
Pall. “Versperrbare Kostbarkeiten”. Graz 2006, Cat. -No. 26 and 28.