Dresden around 1780
A large oval lidded box with elaborate stone mosaic in the form of a straw braid in various, Saxon stones of the Ore Mountains. The top, bottom, and robe reflect the illusion of the braid in undulating bands and are centrally decorated on the lid and bottom with fanned rosette. The rosette even seems to mount the straw bands.
The bands are alternated according to their stone drawing. The golden mounting is decorated with fine chasing and the handle is decorated with a lush floral ornament.
Johann Christian Neuber learned the goldsmith's and stonecutter's craft in Dresden from his later father-in-law Heinrich Taddel. In 1762, he was admitted to the goldsmith guild in Dresden, from 1767 he worked for the court, was responsible for the Green Vault from 1769 and was appointed court jeweler in 1775.
His specialty was the manufacture of artful tobacco tins with a wide variety of stones, mostly local, in gold mounts, which were often given as precious gifts.
The box was in the Hallstein Collection until 1964, and is reproduced in Alexis Kugel: “Gold, Jasper and Carnelian: Joh. Chr..Neuber at the Saxon Court.” London: Paul Holberton 2012 on page 344 no. 60.
Width: 8.5 cm, height: 3 cm