Johann Kroll, Mainz, c. 1790
Johann Kroll, who was born in Riga, had been learning in the Roentgen workshop since 1779.With the permission of David Roentgen, he later set up his own business and in 1781 received an order from the Elector of Mainz, Friedrich Karl von Erthal, for a cabinet furniture with a built-in clock.In 1783-84 he delivered a larger ensemble to Schloss Johannisburg in Aschaffenburg.
The front of the semicircular, three-door body is structured by protruding, fluted pilasters.The gilded strips and finely chiseled rosettes set further elegant accents.The extraordinarily harmonious design of the half cabinet refers to the creation under the influence of David Roentgen.
Mahogany veneered and solid, fire-gilded Bronze fittings and decorative strips.
Height 84 cm, width 107 cm, depth 54 cm.