Virgin and Child
Circle of Hans Klocker (before 1474 – South Tyrol - after 1500)
South Tyrol, probably Brixen, circa 1480
Stone pine wood, full-round, traces of the original polychromy
Height: 75 cm
Provenance: private collection, Austria
The sculpture of Mary and Child was created around 1480, probably in Brixen, by a South Tyrolean master from the direct circle of influence of the renowned sculptors from the Eisack Valley, Hans Klocker (before 1474 - after 1500, active in Brixen) and Hans Harder (active in Sterzing 1465-1490). His style is characterised by compact proportions and dense garment compositions with lush, angular folds.
The full-round Madonna, intended for a free-standing position, impresses with her natural, downright cheerful appeal: The full faces of mother and child radiate uncomplicated friendliness, the posture of the little Jesus corresponds to that of an agile infant, while the richly billowing cloak, the crown and the veil act as a counterweight to emphasize the royal dignity of Our Lady.
An essential comparison object to this sculpture is the Madonna from the winged altar in the church of Mellaun near Brixen, which was created in 1482 by the same artist.