Lime tree, with original frame,
Munich, Johann Baptist Straub's circle (1704-1784)
A winged putto head with a sideways turned look from the circle of Johann Baptist Straub's workshop.
Straub came from a family of Munich sculptors - he learned from his father and brothers in the workshop from 1718 and produced his first decorative works under Joseph Effner for the Munich Residence.
From 1726-1734, he went to Vienna and became court sculptor in Munich under Elector Karl Albrecht of Bavaria in 1737. He decorated many churches and monasteries in Upper Bavaria.
In Ettal monastery, similar angel heads have been preserved on the Korbiniansaltar.
Height: 40 cm