The body is cast of bronze, chased and fire-gilt, decorated with playful ornaments and the surface is partly polished. Complexly tied leave garlands frame the vase-crowned dial with the fine cut out and engraved hands of the clock. The work is signed “Colin dela Glizières” for Jean-Baptiste Colin de la Glizière, who is mentioned as a master watchmaker for the first time in 1729. The early assignments of the master, for example a splendid pendulum clock made of Boulle technique from the collection of Rothschild, were produced under the influence of the High Baroque. The here shown cartel clock originates from his late works and can stylistically be assigned to the Louis-seize.
Ottomayr/Pröschel: “Vergoldete Bronzen”, Munich 1986, vol. 1, page 182-185.