The exquisitely worked bureau from the workshop of the electoral courtly cabinetmaker Johann Jakob Kieser (1734-1786) marks the transition from the domed, curved forms of the Baroque to an elegant Classicism with linear, restrained marquetry details and the medallion-shaped gilt bronze fittings above the hidden keyholes. The cranked cornice, the curved writing clap and the fine profile along the frame are typical features of the Mannheim furniture carpentry. In combination with the conspicuously grained veneer, a representative and still restrained piece of writing furniture with a beautiful interior had been formed. The counterpart to this courtly bureau from the collection of elector Karl Theodor from Palatinate was acquired through a heritage by the electors of Thurn und Taxis and is now in the castle of Emmeran, Regensburg.
Height 220 cm, width 118 cm, depth 70 cm.
Cf. Schwarze: “Antike deutsche Möbel“, Wuppertal 1977, page 174.